Residents of Orogodo metropolis were filled with horror in the afternoon of Wednesday August 18, 2010, when they rushed to the Orogodo river bridge by the new Asaba-Benin expressway, Agbor, Ika South Local Government Area, to catch a glimpse of the blotted body of a middle aged man believed to be that of Mr. Isioma Okolie, popularly called Double Chief, as it was being carried out of the river.

According to some of the youths who brought out the corpse of late Isioma Okolie out of the water, his family had been searching for him immediately after the rain that fell in the night of Monday, August 16, 2010, all to no avail. The search, it was gathered, continued through Tuesday morning to the afternoon of Wednesday, August 18, when his decomposing body was found few metres away from the Orogodo bridge, where he was carried out to the side of the express way by those who have been searching for him, and later taken to a nearby mortuary.

When Ika Weekly visited the wife of late Isioma Okolie who was surrounded by female sympathizers, she was still weeping over the lose of her husband. According to the bereaved woman, she left for Abraka market on that Monday morning until the evening time when her husband called her at about 6.00pm to ask if she was already on her way back home, and that he was called by someone to go and meet him at that time. She said that her husband told her to take an umbrella to Staff house along the express road whenever she retuned, to meet him there. She stated that her husband later used a mobile phone number from a business center to call her, still asking her to come to eat him when she gets home. She added that as soon as she got home, she quickly went to Staff house to look for her husband, but when she got there, she was told that her husband was not in the place. That made her to start searching for her husband throughout that evening, and into the night, all to no avail. She called his friends and her family members, to ask about him, but still he was nowhere to be found. She said that when it was about 8.00pm that Monday night, she began to receive calls from an unknown number, asking if she has seen her husband she posited that she later discovered that it was that same number that her husband used to call her, which was from a business centre, and that the man called her so many times until 2.00am when she decided to switch off the phone. Tuesday morning, the call from the same man persisted, telling her that it was because her husband came to make a call in his business centre, and that he wanted to know if he got home that night. She said however, that the man has been invited by the police for questioning.

Those who knew the late Mr. Isioma Okolie, alias Double Chief, a native of Isele-Uke in Aniocha North Local Government Area, described him as a quiet, peace loving and jovial individual, who never offended anyone. They expressed shock over the death of their collegue who used to work with Ebuh Petrolog as a gardener and a former staff of Clemolen Petrol. His wife, a native of Alisimie, said that they have been living together as husband and wife for the past 8 years, and wondered how life would be with her, now that she has lost her husband.

As at the time of filing this report, the body of late Mr. Isioma Okolie has been deposited in a private mortuary, while investigations into his death continues.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.